The Building

Architecture

A full-block sandstone courthouse from the last great era of the Treasury Department’s federal building program — classical outside, Art Deco within.

The commission

The cornerstone spells out the division of labor: Morris H. Whitehouse and Associates, Architects; James A. Wetmore, Acting Supervising Architect. Whitehouse — Portland-born, MIT-trained, and a winner of an early traveling scholarship to the American Academy in Rome — led the design with associates A. Glenn Stanton and Walter E. Church, working with consulting architect Jules Henri de Sibour of Washington, D.C. Wetmore, a lawyer-administrator whose name appears on hundreds of federal buildings he never designed, supervised for the Treasury.

A style hard to name

The National Register nomination admitted that “stylistic definition of the Courthouse is difficult.” Its massing —a monumental block with a horizontal tripartite organization — is Renaissance Revival. Its plain light walls, unadorned lintels, and ranks of fluted Doric pilasters are Neo-Classical. And its ornament — the entablature, the bronze work, and above all the interiors — is Art Deco. The building is a transitional design, classical government architecture caught at the moment the twentieth century broke in.

Stone and structure

The building is a 160-foot-square “doughnut” of steel and concrete — eight storeys and a basement wrapped around a 65-by-78-foot light court — faced entirely in hard, grey Wilkeson sandstone from Washington State, after the government declined cheaper bids that would have switched to terra cotta above the lower floors.

The Main Street facade is the formal face: twenty-four granite steps rising to a landing guarded by two eight-and-a-half-foot bronze lamps; three bronze-and-glass doorways framed in cast-bronze floral strips; a Deco stone eagle, wings outspread and clutching three arrows, over the center door; eleven bays of windows between eight fluted Doric pilasters; and corner bays incised UNITED STATES OF AMERICA beneath a frieze of triglyphs and stylized floral metopes.

Interiors

The interiors are where the Art Deco spirit — and the budget — went. The foyer rises eighteen and a half feet over floors of Brown Nebo Golden Travis marble, its pink Kasota stone walls carrying bas-relief figures memorializing Oregonians who fell in World War I. The marble itself made headlines: the Utah Mt. Nebo stone genuinely contains gold, locked in too tightly to extract.

The 125-foot postal lobby kept its cast-bronze writing desks, ornamented lockboxes, coffered plaster ceiling of stylized birds and eagles, and even its original turquoise ceramic ash receptacles — “a warm, rosy hue,” the National Register nomination found, “not . . . significantly altered since it was built.” On the sixth floor, the two double-height District courtrooms pair oak walls and leather-covered doors with marble trim, bronze grilles, and coffered ceilings; the judge’s desk in each sits between paired oak Corinthian columns. The seventh-floor Court of Appeals courtroom answers in cherry wood, with a carved wooden eagle atop a broken pediment.

Art

Beyond the WWI-memorial reliefs (whose sculptor remains unidentified — a research lead we are pursuing), the building’s major artwork is Manuel Neri’s Ventana al Pacifico(“Window on the Pacific”), a white Carrara marble figure commissioned by GSA’s Art in Architecture program and dedicated east of the main entrance in April 1989. It remains in place after the building’s 2025 sale, protected by covenant.

Design records from the OHS archives

Wheeler, Osgood Co. to Whitehouse re: millwork contract, p.1
Wheeler, Osgood Co. to Whitehouse re: millwork contract, p.1 — Page 1 of a letter dated June 21 1932 on the colorful Wheeler, Osgood Company letterhead (LAMINEX/WOCO logos, 'Doors and Plywood from Douglas Fir, Pine and Philippine Hardwood') to Morris H. Whitehouse. Proposes to handle millwork for the new post office building through the McClelland Co. or Oregon Door Co.; cites their finest millwork at Meier & Frank, St. Vincents Hospital and the Weatherly Building. Received June 23 1932. June 21, 1932 · Oregon Historical Society (photographed by the project team)
Whitehouse Stanton & Church statement: detailed wood schedule for Federal Bldg
Whitehouse Stanton & Church statement: detailed wood schedule for Federal Bldg — Copy of a Whitehouse, Stanton & Church statement (dated July 5 1932, annotated 'Journal of Commerce: Please rewrite this way') itemizing wood in the Federal Building: 17,000 lin. ft. of wood base board, wall surfaces of the Court of Appeals, District Courts, judges' chambers and libraries with dimensions, 240 wood doors, and a note that 'close to a million feet of lumber' would be used for form work. July 5, 1932 · Oregon Historical Society (photographed by the project team)
Report: District Court Rooms of the new Federal Building (courthouse)
Report: District Court Rooms of the new Federal Building (courthouse) — Typed descriptive report page headed "DISTRICT COURT ROOM" about the new Federal Building. Describes two roughly 6,000 sq ft district court rooms paneled in plain-sawed white oak on the sixth floor, the judges' bench and jury access, fixed windows with acoustical fan ventilation, and a reserved space for a future mural; names architects Whitehouse, Stanton & Church and builder Murch Bros. of St. Louis. circa 1933 · Oregon Historical Society (photographed by the project team)

3 more documents from this chapter in the Archive →

Drawings & documentation